You are coming to Greece! Yay 🙌
You'll find a lot of amazing things: incredible hospitality, fantastic weather, and a tasty cuisine. What's not to love?
Be open. Explore. Enjoy the trip.
TL;DR: I'll give you 1-2 recommendations
- For each section, I'll give you 1-3 must-try recommendations
- The rest would be recommended if you have (a) more time or (b) are particularly interested in that section
Food - Street Food 🥙
- Elvis (map) - Try the best souvlaki in the area. Souvlaki is a traditional meal of grilled meat on a skewer/stick. Friendly staff and at night you can pop in next door at Chelsea Bar for a drink.
- Lukumadez (map) - Greek donuts. If you're a sweet tooth, you don't want to miss this 🍩
- Django Gelato Athens (map) - Yum gelato 🍦
Food - Restaurants 🍛
For all restaurants with (*) I'd recommend to reserve in advance
- Mavro Provato of Press Cafe* (map) - Traditional Greek food 🇬🇷
- Seychelles* (map) - Modern Greek food 👌
- Avli (map) - Hip taverna in a side street. Great for late-night snacks. Might require you to wait.
- Nolan* (map) - Modern Asian fusion cuisine with local ingredients.
- Sushimou* (map) - Some of the best Omakase sushi, I've eaten in my life. The chef was trained in Japan 🍣
- The Underdog (map) - Hip brunch place with an award-winning coffee program.
- 4m specialty coffees (map) - Tiny and friendly specialty coffee shop.
- Anana Coffee|Food (map) - Hip third-wave coffee shop in the center of Athens. If you're there, you can hop around the corner for a slice of pizza at Mozzart.
- Samba Coffee Roasters (map) - Nice espresso bar in the downtown area.
- Third Place (map) - Good coffee shop to work from.
- Six Dogs (map) - Amazing bar with vast outdoor seating area. Occasionally plays live music. It gets pretty busy on weekend evenings and you might have to wait a bit.
- Bios (map) - Cool underground bar with an Acropolis view 🔭
- Tapfield (map) - Nice craft beer tap room.
- The Clumsies (map) - Year after year voted as one of the Top 50 bars in the world.
- Line Athens (website) - New bar from the Clumsies crew. Also ranking in the world's Top 50.
Areas to Explore 🗺
Besides the typical tourist recommendations, you can do this:
- Lycabettus Hill (map) - Walk up to the top of Lycabettus Hill for a great 360 view of the city 🏞
- Kavouri Beach (map) - Take a cab to a local beach and enjoy 🏖
If you have more time, you can check my pins 👇