TL;DR: Name Storming is a creativity technique teaching you how to come up with great names.
Case Study: remotefabric.com
In 2021, I started a new business.
- Offering: Selling online courses to teach 'how remote works'
- Audience: Selling to managers of remote teams (B2B)
- Hypothesis: B2B customers want to buy from businesses vs. buy from individuals
- SEO/Keyword: The name had to include the word "remote" since it became synonymous with the type of work I was training.
- Top-level Domain: I wanted to register a name where I could own a .com domain.
To generate some good options I used the Name Storming technique.
Here's a screenshot of one of my ideation sheets, which eventually led me to arrive at my winning combination 👇
After generating 289 idea permutations, one word sprung into my attention: fabric
The term ‘fabric’ was not even in my initial consideration set but once I saw it on the sheet and realized that remotefabric.com (a) was available for $12/yr on google domains and (b) looked kick-ass in the browser window.
I was set 🎉
Fabric is an underlying structure and this is exactly what I wanted to uncover with my business: Identify how remote works (from the inside out).
That’s why it’s remote fabric 🧬
The Micro-Course: Template + 40-minute Tutorial
Learn the Name Storming technique in under an hour + have a ready-to-use templet for your own naming project.Become a Naming Pro
5-Minute MBA in Naming Things
Here's a short blog post about the 80/20 of naming things.