First things first, download my Google Maps List 👇
TL;DR: I'll give you 1-2 recommendations
- For each section, I'll give you 1-2 must-try recommendations
- The rest would be recommended if you have (a) more time or (b) are particularly interested in that section
- Bitzinger (map) - Get a Käsekrainer (i.e. sausage filled w/ cheese + dark bread and horseradish). This is the quintessential Viennese fast food 🌭 // If you want to get the 100% authentic experience, then go during late-night hours (between 10pm and midnight) and order an Ottakringer Beer in a can (locals call it a "Sechzehner Blech")
- Meissl & Schadn (map) - Best Wiener Schnitzel you'll eat in Vienna. Make a reservation and enjoy the show. Their menu covers the main dishes of Viennese Cuisine.
- Die Cafetière (map) - Third-wave coffee Vienna-style. Trust me and go there.
- Kleines Café (map) - My favorite traditional coffee shop. Tiny, hence, the name "Kleines Kaffee" (= "small coffee shop"). Dink a Wiener Melange - think of it as a Viennese Cappuccino.
- DonauTechno (map) - My favorite underground bar in Vienna. It's on the backside of Museumsquartier (an area with 20+ galleries). The bar has a built-in sausage stand inside + the windows are soundproof → you really have to look for the entrance ;)
- Schikaneder Bar (map) - My second living room. Used to spend sooooo much time in there that I really felt it was my "third place". Bohemian crowd, great vibes + an independent cinema inside.
- Beerlovers (map) - Largest craft beer store in Europe. Nuf' said 🍻
- AmmutsØn Craft Beer Dive (map) - Craft beers on tap.
- Die Parfümerie (map) - New kids on the block. Bunch of highly-trained bartenders + creative cocktail menu.
- The Bank (map) - Welcome to the 1%. It's a cocktail bar and brasserie in the lobby of the Park Hyatt hotel. Completely different vibe but interesting to check it out.
- Albertina (map) - World's largest collection of master prints (Impressionists; Picasso; etc.). Amazing curation. Always worth a trip.
- Leopold Museum (map) - Great collection of Austrian artists (Klimt; Kokoschka; Schiele; etc.).
Areas to Explore 🗺
In no particular order:
- Innere Stadt: Historical city center. There's something to see on every corner.
- Burggasse: Hipster vibes.
- Freihausviertel: Studenty + artsy.
- Museumsquartier: Hang out on a summer evening to drink a beer can and enjoy the energy.
- Donaukanal: Amazing beach bar vibes in summer.
- Prater + Prater Hauptallee: Former hunting area of the Imperial Family. Now an amusement park + alley for runners and cyclists.