Brand Promise: How to Communicate in One Statement?
I would like to start with a quote from the first post in this series:
For a brand to exist it needs a sender and a receiver.
If the promise of a sender matches with the associations of a receiver we have good branding.
The first step of a branding feedback loop is the brand promise.
Let's see how we can work with that 👇
Brand Promise: Combination of Brand Vision and Brand Purpose
Good branding is aligned top to bottom.
When distilling a brand promise you would start with:
- Brand vision: How does the world look like tomorrow?
- Brand purpose: Why do we believe in this future and how do we fit in?
In an ideal scenario, your brand promise is a one-liner that captures the brand's vision and purpose.
Nike: Just Do It.
It is a combination of:
- Vision: A world where everyone is an athlete
- Purpose: Nike's goal to empower all athletes
- Promise: Just Do It.
Stripe: Payments Infrastructure for the Internet
It is a combination of:
- Vision: The Internet economy will be the majority of the economy
- Purpose: Increase the GDP of the Internet
- Promise: Payments Infrastructure for the Internet
Bottomline: One Statement to Capture the Brand Strategy
A good brand promise captures is like a guiding light for brand strategy.
- Internal alignment: Your team knows how to communicate into the market
- External commitment: Your customers know what to expect and how to think of your brand
It is the first statement that a customer would see when navigating to your website.
In other words: your brand promise can be your tagline.
This post is an excerpt from my online course Fundamentals of Brand Strategy where you learn how to build successful brands.
The self-paced online course contains 5 hours of video material and teaches you how to use the Brand Pyramid.Learn the Fundamentals of Brand Strategy 🧰
You can hit me up on twitter. DMs are open.
Short Excerpts from the Course
These posts are short snippets of the course curriculum 👇
- A Pragmatic Look at Branding: What Is a Brand?
- Touchpoints and Brand Strategy: How do We Build Associations?
- Positioning and Differentiation: How to Stand Out as a Brand?
- Brand Vision: What Is the World That Could Be?
- Brand Purpose: Why Bother?
- Brand Promise: How to Communicate in One Statement?
- Mission Statement: How Do You Do It?
- Brand Attributes: How Does the Brand Present Itself?
- Frame of Reference: Where Is the Brand Placed?
- Target Customer: Who Is Your Audience?
- Customer Need: What Is Their Real Job-to-be-Done?
- Value Proposition: What Are You Offering?
- Reasons-to-Believe: What Are Your Proof Points?