🕹 Life Is a Game 🚔 - Issue #11
Hi y'all 👋
Question for you this week: Do you watch the Eurovision song context?
Today we'll cover:
🎮 Life as a Game + Online Ed as a Power-Up
🏝 Remote Team Meetings 101 + Free workshop
🇪🇺 My Eurovision Mania
Online Ed as a Booster Pack 🚀
This week I shared a shower thought on twitter: Online Education Is a Power-Up for Your Life 💪
I was blown away by the resonance it had. Many people reached out and I even have a zoom call today to discuss this idea in detail.
Here's the full thread for reference 👇
Here a couple of further observations/nuggets around this idea:
#1: The Market Rewards Education 💵
My friend Matt (former poker pro + economist) had shared an economics research paper with me where it shows that the US Labor Market rewards higher education in real $$$.
#2: Career Switching Is More Common 🔁
Participants in the Labor Market need to update their skillset at a faster rate.
- 🧭 Function switch
- 🏭 Industry switch
- 🍼 Life-phase switch
#3: Online Ed Is a Speedboat 🚤
One of my ODCC1 mentors - who is also a teacher at a large US university - referred to traditional education being a dumpster fire 🔥
Some of the challenges:
- Topical Lock-in: You pick your degree and you're stuck with it. Syllabus does not change as fast as real-market best-practices.
- Temporal Lock-in: You sign up. Thanks for sticking with us for the next 4 years.
- Exploding Costs: Price point of traditional edu in the US extremely high. And prices are hiking up and up.
In my eyes it's not a good fit anymore if your professional/personal success depends on learning applicable skills quickly & cheaply.
Alternative methods of learning - which I'm referring to as Online Education - are:
- Self-directed learning
- Task-based learning
- Email-based courses (EBCs)
- Self-paced/evergreen courses
- Cohort-based courses (CBCs)
- and many more...
Online education has some advantages because it is more nimble:
- Topical focus: Online education competes in a free market. The product needs to be top notch, otherwise you will not be able to compete. Best-practices are at the core of the curricula
- Temporal advantage: Online education delivery format can achieve a student transformation in anywhere from 5 minutes (task-based playbooks or EBCs) to 3 months (in-depth CBCs)
- Lower Price Point: Currently online ed formats are priced anywhere between $0 - $6,000
If Traditional Education is a massive oil tanker, then Online Education is a nimble speedboat 🚤
Here are some complementary thoughts/observations about the thread:
- Twitter is a bubble: People who try to 'game' Twitter are already bought into this idea == higher resonance
- Building in public is cool: Sharing and learning in public increases your surface area. Your tribe will find you online. That's pretty cool. == networking on steroids
I have an evergreen blog post where I share how I use Twitter - maybe this might be helpful to you.
Pocket Guide: Using Twitter in 2021
Twitter is more like LinkedIn and less like Instagram. In 2021, Twitter is the most useful tool for the Creator Economy.
Remote Team Meetings 101
I hinted last week that I'm working on an online course for managers of remote teams.
Some of the remote management challenges we will address are outlined below.
Offer: If you are interested in this topic and have specific challenges, please reach out to me. Happy to set up a call and see how I can help 🙌
Remote Meeting Workshop on May 31st 🗓
In order to test some of the material and sharpen the syllabus I'm offering a free workshop session on May 31st.
If you are interested in learning some best-practices around meeting organization and facilitation for remote teams then join 👇
Remote Team Meetings 101 🏝 - Zoom
In this FREE workshop we will work through best-practices for remote team meetings: 🎈 Reducing Meeting Bloat: Participant #; Meeting Duration/Frequency 🗓 Doing Pre- & Post-Work: ...
As a side note, I'm using lu.ma to schedule + manage the workshop. It's a free tool that integrates with zoom and many other apps
As a side note, I'm using lu.ma to schedule + manage the workshop. It integrates with zoom and manages all communication with my participants automatically (i.e. reminder emails; link sharing; etc.). The only thing you do is share a luma link ✅
The best thing about it: it's free.
Check it out if you haven't already 👆
As a side note, I'm using lu.ma to
Electro-Folk and Eurovision Mania 🇪🇺
Yesterday I watched the Eurovision semi-finals.
16 countries participate. 10 go through.
I went into the evening with 0 expectations.
Somehow I ended up more invested than I should have been and shouted "YESSSS!" when Ukraine snatched up the last of 10 slots to go through to the finals.
Not sure what happened but their performance was awesome 👇
I guess I just needed someone to root for.
Let me know how you are doing. I'd love to hear from you.
Stay healthy, stay happy 🙌